Jarryd Hayne Cleared For Kings Cross Incident
Jarryd Hayne has been cleared of any wrongdoing following an incident in the Sydney nightclub district of Kings Cross that left one man needing hospital attention.
Hayne said the incident was ‘some banter that went on between me and another person at the venue’.
“It was light hearted at first and ended up going too far. I contacted Paul Osborne the next morning because I was upset at what happened and we went to the police,” Hayne said.
“On Monday morning I spoke with the other person and after talking with him, we have both decided not to pursue the matter any further.
“We both agreed there was no malice intended. I just want to move forward. There are no hard feelings between us and we are both happy to move forward.”
Hayne, who was involved in an a 2008 incident at Kings Cross which involved a gun being discharged said he would not be venturing back to the well-known entertainment district any time soon.
“I learnt a good lesson in 2008 and I don’t get there anywhere near as much I used too,” Hayne said.
“But it was a friend’s birthday. Am I supposed to lock myself in a cage 24/7? I am a human being and it’s getting to the point where you can’t even go out and celebrate a friend’s birthday.”
Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne said that he was glad the incident had been resolved, and that Hayne had been exonerated of any wrong doing.
“I’d prefer if none of my players went to any night club, any night, drinking alcohol. But that is not going to happen,” Osborne said.
“Unfortunately, when players of the stature of Jarryd go out to places like this they are a lightning rod. It’s sad I suppose that they can’t go out and enjoy themselves, but at this point we’re happy with Jarryd’s behaviour on the night.”
Osborne said he would investigate the possibility of imposing a curfew on his players.
“Well I think generally, not a lot of good happens in that hour at Kings Cross. But that’s a discussion for another day,” he said.
The man at the centre of the incidents, Josh Anderson, revealed in a television interview last night that he placed no blame on Hayne for the incident.
“Some things happen. People fall over backwards and hit their heads. I head-butted a super star,” Anderson said.
“I did mention how he always starts fights with a head-butt. But I’m not here to wreck anyone’s career.”
Osborne also said that he had met with both Hayne and Anderson and said that both men had agreed to move on that there was no ill feeling between the pair.
Osborne also rebuffed suggestions that the Eels had paid hush money to Anderson in return for his decision not to take the matter any further.
There is no standard across the board in the NRL as far as curfews go. Some clubs have no restrictions in place, while The Gold Coast has implemented ‘no go zones’ around trouble spots in Surfers Paradise. In fact Gold Coast players risk suspension if they find themselves on the wrong side of the road at certain times of night.
NRL chief Geoff Gallop said he was pleased with the outcome of the Hayne incident but also rules out any league imposed curfews, saying individual clubs and players needed to be responsible for their actions.